Tuesday, November 6, 2012

High Rollers - Can Bowling Be Classy?

In my pre-design student mind, I would have never thought of the possibility of designing a bowling alley in a way that makes the odd sport of bowling somewhat classy. I will admit that I have been proven wrong as this bowling alley that brings us to Mashantucket, Conneticut in the United States and forces us to put on our ties and cocktail dresses, but if you are worried about your bowling shoes not working with your dress or even if the idea of getting dressed up to bowl scares you, no worries! Typical bowling garb is also acceptable!


This bowling alley takes more of the nightclub or lounge approach with its furniture and finishes selection, and maybe the thing that I appreciate the most is that there is not the typical bowling alley carpet. (I'm sure most of you are familiar with the glow-in-the-dark neon and black carpet that fills so many bowling alleys.)


I also appreciate the abundance of seating that is provided,which is also in a formal, tufted style, and provides many defined spaces for guests to enjoy.


I still cannot get over that there are chandeliers in a bowling alley, and not just a few. They are everywhere!


I'm not sure if this post motivates you to want to take give bowling or bowling alleys another shot, but I know that it inspires me. Unique and unexpected design can be anywhere, and it definitely has a role in shaping the outlook of the users of the space. 

So what do you think? Can bowling be classy?


1 comment:

  1. Which methons do you use to look for info for your fresh entries and which particular search engines or techniques do you regularly turn to?

    ReplyDelete