Sunday, November 11, 2012

Electric Dreams - The Idea of "Too"

Every once in a while I come across a designer or group that has such a unique style that I am "forced" to explore all of their work. Recently, I discovered a Swedish architecture/design studio that specializes in brand environments. They say that they like things "that are too colourful, too weird, too beautiful, too dark, too many..." I think you may easily agree that this is true after seeing some of my favorites of their work.

This first design is called Fabricville and is from the head offices at Fabric Retail Global in Gothenburg, Sweden. I think this first room meets their category of "too dark." On the bright side, the darkness allows the pendant lights to become a feature statement in the room.


Throughout all the rooms of this space, a monochromatic approach is taken, and all of the furniture and finishes are a single color. Specifically in the white room below, I love its whimsy feeling, and especially the ceiling feature's contribution to this feeling.


This next design is for Monki, a girls' fashion store. The first thing that caught my attention was the design of the dressing rooms. The whole store design has so much personality, which I realized after reading the concept of the store is for good reason. For example, when you enter the dressing room, you are said to be going into a hollow oak, with clothes hanging from glowing branches, and accessories displayed on shiny mushrooms. 



The last design from Electric Dreams that I will share is for a mobile phone company in Sweden, Dialect, that wanted to present their concept of "You." Throughout the space their are many opportunities for customers to try out the products in this unique environment before actually making a purchase. My favorite part of the shop is the purple flower-like light features. This space might also fit into their category of "too dark," but I definitely think they made up for it with their other design elements. 



Electric Dreams has several more designs that push the limit on being "too colourful, too weird, too beautiful, too dark, too many..." so be sure to check out their website!

via Electric Dreams

No comments:

Post a Comment